[Regia-NA] Strong Viking Helmet

TGS list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:10:20 -0400

The First World War Luftwaffe helmets that I have handled are made of
several plates covered with leather.  I think they used a very similar type
in the Second World War as well but you should be accustomed to my
sieve-like memory by now. While I haven't taken one apart, it has always
been my impression that the metal plates were held in leather pockets
rather than being fixed together.  I can imagine that if you were to take
all the metal plates and reassemble them without the leather, they might
look like this helmet, but I am not convinced.

In WWI they were basically crash helmets worn by balloonists and some
aviators.  In WWII it's my dim memory they were mostly worn by aerial
gunners.  The US Air Corps used several helmets which were substantially
the same design.  I have one, but am not likely to take it apart to test
any similarity in the metal work.  (All the plates are covered with
canvas.)  I don't happen to know off hand if the RAF used much body armor,
but I don't remember seeing any.  Maybe they borrowed it from the USAAF?

The cut out for the ear is certainly a feature of aviator helmets...so it
will fit over earphones.  But I'm not convinced that the Strong or Kiev (in
particular the Kiev) helmets are WWII aviator helmets.

I'm also doubt they are viking age helmets.