[Regia-NA] Whetstones

Timothy Dill-Peterson list-regia-na@lig.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 04:12:58 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_002D_01C226FE.E87C3CC0

For a long time I mused on this question and suggested it to several =
people. A whetstone was a pretty essential item and there is an =
interesting collection of them at the National Museum of Wales in =
Cardiff. I was never much for making kit and so I never did get round to =
making one. The warriors who should all have had one, partly as a =
distinction of rank never bothered with them because they used blunt =
weapons. The LHE, once they had tried splitting logs with a blunt axe =
probably got round to carrying a sharpening block but I don't recall =
anyone ever having one.
You should definitely make lots because, under strict authenticity I =
think it should qualify as a sword weilders item. It makes as much sense =
as compulsory eating equipment or hats and more sense than the =
preoccupation with shoes
Regards,=20
Tampa Timbo

------=_NextPart_000_002D_01C226FE.E87C3CC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For a long time I mused on this =
question and=20
suggested it to several people. A whetstone was a pretty essential item =
and=20
there is an interesting collection of them at the National Museum of =
Wales in=20
Cardiff. I was never much for making kit and so I never did get round to =
making=20
one. The warriors who should all have had one, partly as a distinction =
of rank=20
never bothered with them because they used blunt weapons. The LHE, once =
they had=20
tried splitting logs with a blunt axe probably got round to carrying a=20
sharpening block but I don't recall anyone ever having one.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>You should definitely make lots =
because, under=20
strict authenticity I think it should qualify as a sword weilders item. =
It makes=20
as much sense as compulsory eating equipment or hats and more sense than =
the=20
preoccupation with shoes</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Tampa Timbo</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002D_01C226FE.E87C3CC0--