[Regia-NA] Fwd: [trimaris] Incredible Battle of Hastings website

Jeffrey Fulton list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:13:49 -0400

While it is a beautiful website, I believe there are some serious inaccuracies in it.  For instance, the fuller to prevent suction when pulling it out?  A fuller does the same thing as an I-beam.  It strengthens and lightens.  A solid steel beam 6" X 4" will bend easier than an I beam of the same dimensions.  Then the crossbow - sinew and hide crossbows weren't that powerful.  Steel crossbows appearing much later and requiring hooks or levers with poundages 150 to 300 lbs could shoot 300 metres, but a sinew/hide one probably would be less than 100 lbs of pull.  Our 70 lb aluminum one has the same range and penetrating power as a 30 lb longbow.  It wouldn't shoot 300 metres unless you were shooting down a well!

Bjorn

--
monsieurgeoffrey@netscape.net