[Regia-NA] FW: Sheilds

Nicholson, Andrew list-regia-na@lig.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:18:33 -0000

Scott, I forwarded you message to Seibhyrt, generally regarded as the =
Shield
Guru in Regia UK. Here is his reply [[Any comments of my own are =
inserted in
double brackets, so as not to be confused with his asides]].=20

Gu=F0rum

Hi, Scott

I make the occasional curvy shield  [[he also makes domed rounds, but =
that's
another ball game]].  Flat kites are banned, on the grounds that we =
have no
evidence for them.   The Bayeux Tapestry is marginal at best, and every
other source shows them as curved.  The 2D curved "Oval" full body =
shield is
a standard in the Byzantine army from (guess) about c8th.  At the end =
of the
c10th someone had the bright idea of turning the top of the oval into a
circle so that you could see over the thing.(well, this is my theory).  =
From

there, the shield spread to northern Europe, until by the end of the =
c11th=20
it was the most common.  Harald Hardrada may actually have had more =
kite=20
shields than the English at Stamford Bridge - he'd served in the =
bodyguard=20
of the Byzantine Emperor

As for making them - well, the authentic way might be to get some =
planks=20
with bevelled edges, glue them together to make a curve, and then carve =
them

to shape to knock the edges off.  I haven't done this - it's just a =
theory.

Making the things

>I am using two layers of 1/4 inch pine plywood with about 2 cups of =
outside

>wood glue between the layers.

I use exterior grade ("marine") ply, which tends to be of a hardwood.  =
Can=20
you get it in the States/Canada?  It's sold as 4mm here, called 1/4" =
perhaps
in=20
your neck of the woods? Some people add a layer of cloth beween the two =

sheets.  For extra strength you can use three sheets of ply.  I cut the =

sheets into 2' x 4' shapes and bend them like that, to get an even =
curve.  I

then, when dry, cut to shape.

>I am shaping them by curving the two layers arround a 55 gal drum =
using=20
>winch straps with 1*1s on the plywood to stop the staps from leaving =
marks.

I find that the oil drum produces a rather tight curve.  I have made =
shields

using a set of car jacks, but now I have a specially made frame to get =
the=20
curve just right.
[[I have one too now, after jotting the measurements of S's one on the =
back
of a cheque-book; its just over 4 foot long, about 2 and a half feet =
wide,
and curved to a depth of about 6 inches.]]

>I usually cover them with cloth and sew leather or rawhide arround the =

>edges.

Ditto.  You can add cloth to the back.  Leather facing is more =
authentic,=20
but heavier and more expensive.  I use a mix of fine plaster, water=20
and glue to create a smooth surface (after a lot of sanding that is!)
[[Cloth on the back is really useful for stopping splinters coming =
through
into your arms]].

>I use either brass or steel rivits to hold the straps and I put a 7*7 =
inch=20
>wool pad where the grip is to absorb some of the shock. They seem to =
hold=20
>up well.

I use "modified" 5" nails - they are cheaper and more availiable.  I=20
modifiy them by heating them with a blow torch and hitting them with a=20
hammer.=20

[[Likewise. Also note that Regia kites - OK Seibhyrt, "fish-shaped" - =
have a
small boss on the front, even though they don't have a cut-out grip]].

I have tried other woods but the pine hold up the best and the hard =
woods=20
tended to splinter while beeing curved or when they were hit. Any hints =
for=20
improvement to uses these with Regia would be grand.

Never had this problem.  When bending, make sure that you have bending =
along

the line of the grain (that is, so the grain lines are running up and =
down=20
with the finished shield.  I've never had a curved shield split when =
bent=20
this way - perhaps it's because I use a slightly gentler curve than an =
oil=20
drum.  (The other advantage of using a frame is that you can pick the =
thing=20
up and move it over a heater for quicker drying during the winter)
[[I've never had a curved shield split either, though I have lost two =
wear and tear - they tend to last at least six seasons, given that they
alternate with the round, depending on the dateline of the show. The =
'weak
point' seems to be about 18" up from the point, both of mine eventually
being cut through here - but maybe its the way I use them ;-) ]].

Hope this helps

Seibhyrt

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* =20
http://join.msn.com/?page=3Dfeatures/junkmail