[Regia-NA] Shields

Seathrun MagAoinghouis list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 22:11:03 -0800 (PST)

I have been making them for about 3 years for sca fighting. I do not have access to linden wood but I am using two layers of 1/4 inch pine plywood with about 2 cups of outside wood glue between the layers. I am shaping them by curving the two layers arround a 55 gal drum using winch straps with 1*1s on the plywood to stop the staps from leaving marks. I usually cover them with cloth and sew leather or rawhide arround the edges. I use either brass or steel rivits to hold the straps and I put a 7*7 inch wool pad where the grip is to absorb some of the shock. They seem to hold up well. I have tried other woods but the pine hold up the best and the hard woods tended to splinter while beeing curved or when they were hit. Any hints for improvement to uses these with Regia would be grand.

Seathrun