[Regia-NA] Re: Sword Making list?

rmhowe list-regia-na@lig.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:02:46 -0500

Happened to see an older posting and decided to answer it.

Melanie Wilson wrote:
> Is there a sword making list or anyone with sword making experiance on list?

There is a sword forum on the internet that has a discussion list.
It's http://www.swordforum.com/

Master Attar in the SCA / Dr. Jim Hrisoulas who has written three master
books on sword and knife making is on the net but I don't know if he has
a website. He has a doctorate in Metallurgy. JHrisoulas@aol.com
I don't always like the sword furniture (different tastes) but the
blades
are superb.

The Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way to Perfection;

The Master Bladesmith: Advanced Studies in Steel;

[I have the first two but not the pattern welded steel one.
I can't hammer much at all anymore and I sold/traded the big forges.]

The Pattern-Welded Blade; Paladin Press, Boulder, CO

For the Lower priced and equipped people Wayne Goddard's books are
very good. He's published by Krause and has regular columns in
Blade Magazine. I get both Blade and Knifes Illustrated and I
have two or three of his books. His columns are outstanding and
written for anyone's use with a wide variety of experience in the
different steels. He experiments more with them than anyone else
I've read in the last fifteen years, and he tells a lot of techniques
of tempering, using unusual steels like ball bearings, etc.

Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop and The Wonder of Knifemaking.
Both are reasonably priced paperbacks.

Another author whose stuff has been in print in the magazines
has put out a pair of books too:

Fowler, Ed: Knife Talk: The Art and Science of Knifemaking

Try http://www.bookfinder.com/ for a wide selection of prices and
sources for these books.

Magnus