[Regia-NA] spindles and whorls

Patchett list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:43:13 -0500

Charlotte Mayhew wrote:

>I am currently researching spindles and spindle whorls in Viking and
>Anglo-Saxon contexts.
>
>Can anyone point me to good sources for info. about spindles and whorls?
>All details are helpful, though I'm especially looking for
>good, clear photographs so that I can reproduce some.

Hi there Charlotte,

I'd recommend "Textile Production at 16-22 Coppergate" by Penelope
Walton Rogers.  ISBN 1 872414 76 1

It's got a wonderfully detailed section on whorls, listing a
classification of types, as well as an analysis of how types changed
based on time period.  The line drawings are great, and are all done to
scale.  There are also some good coloured plate, as well as a catalogue
in the back will details on each particular whorl.

Can you tell I like this book?

Hope this helps

Aedwen