[Regia-NA] more on flint and antler

Tate William T Jr TSgt 352 OSS/SCSC list-regia-na@lig.net
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:07:02 -0000

Kim,

I'm in the middle of moving and probably won't be settled/capable of writing
anything detailed until the beginning of the new year as I also have to go
Stateside for Will to visit his mother.  If you can wait that long, I will
put together something...what do you want? general boneworking...directions
for combs...?  There are also several really good web sites that contain
info on bone/antler/horn working.

Scott,

For combs, use antler rather than bone.  Antler can take more rough-handling
than bone.  For sources, try Moscow Hide and Fur.  Try the Regia site,
http://www.regia.org/bonework.htm, to see the steps for making a comb.

Bill/Leifr

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Kim Siddorn [mailto:kim.siddorn@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 5:01 PM
To: list-regia-na@lig.net
Subject: Re: [Regia-NA] more on flint and antler

Runnels .......... Is that your name for them Andy? or a "proper" name? No
offence, just curious - I'd always referred to the surface as corrugated.

I think the base bit where it joins the skull is called the "rosette". This
bit is incredibly tough and can be used for bronze casting short term or
pewter casting for ages! It also makes an excellent hammer face for working
sheet silver. It is hard but resilient and can be filed off and refinished
several times. I made one when I was on my silversmithing course.

Use a broken glass scraper for stock removal. Emery discolours the material,
so use glass paper.

I understand that steeping in hot water for 24 hours makes antler somewhat
pliable. I'd always intended to heat some in a pressure cooker to see what
happens. Any thoughts on this? What about a microwave?

LASTLY, which of you would like to volunteer to write the obvious article
for Chronicle - how about a joint collaboration?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

"Non est tanti."