[Regia-NA] Cooking question

Jon Smith list-regia-na@lig.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:56:16 +0100

Yes...

well this is a bit earlier - but Anthimus' (one of the sources for
"tastes...") first point in his observances is that

"To begin with, it is best to eat white bread, not unleavened, but well
leavened and, when the situation allows, hot every day, because such bread
is better digested. For if the bread is not well risen, it weighs heavily on
the stomach."

So that suggests that white bread is the best - and then others - especially
unleavened - so it must have been around.

He also has a recipe for rice pudding - although this one is will not
produce the hard skin of a traditional english rice pudding. However this is
going to be expensive as the rice is imported - and in this case - we are
discussing royal food in northern francia.

I quite liked point 92 - "Dates are good too, but not on a regular basis as
they cause flatulence and headaches"

Jon Smith

-----Original Message-----
From: list-regia-na-admin@lig.net [mailto:list-regia-na-admin@lig.net]On
Behalf Of Patchett
Sent: 23 August 2002 14:08
To: Regia
Subject: [Regia-NA] Cooking question

Greetings all,

I recently purchased the cookbook "Tastes of Anglo Saxon England", and
it's got me wanting to do some more period cooking.  Mark, my husband,
and I have been having a discussion about whether there is any
documentation for pancakes (griddle cake, flapjacks) in period.  "The
Mastermyr Find" suggests that one of the griddles was used for pancakes.
 Any thoughts from someone that cooks more than I?

Also, what type of leavening agents did they have?  Yeast, I'd assume,
since they made bread and beer.  What about sourdough?  How about baking
powder?  Any documentation for unleavened breads?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Beth Patchett