[Regia-NA] Mail Vendors

TGS list-regia-na@lig.net
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:00:36 -0400

>Flat rings are punched out of sheet and that is a wholly different
>technological board game. Later and - in many cases - of foreign origin.
According to a report I have about the Gjermundbu shirt, the punched rings
were swaged to give them a round cross section, to match the drawn
wire-riveted rings.  The report is in Norwegian, and I'm working from a
brief English gloss from the Author, so I don't have many more details than
that.

Could 'cheaper' mail shirts been made from shirts with un-swaged links?  I
dunno.  I'm told (by people who know a lot more about the Roman army than
they probably should) that square section links are found in Roman era mail.

So how 'bout them apples?

Take Care,
Tom